Teagasc is the agriculture and food development authority of Ireland.
The Rural Environment Protection Scheme (REPS) is designed to reward farmers for carrying out their farming activities in an environmentally friendly manner. Teagasc use extensive amounts of OSi map data and aerial imagery to ensure compliance with CAP policies and to manage the application and allocation of funds for the agriculture sector.
The Challenge[frame style=”simple”][/frame]
- To ensure compliance with EU CAP policies.
- To manage the application & allocation of funds for the agriculture sector, valued at €3billion.
Pre-GIS business process
- Paper-based processes
- Information not easily accessible – customers wishing to inspect. these maps had to visit Teagasc office in person.
- Low productivity levels.
- Poor public image.
Teagasc have developed a web based GIS system, utilising OSI data, which manages the REPS process. The system handles all mapping and tabular data input, payment calculation and reporting requirements of the REPS scheme.
- 65% improved productivity.
- New on-line services.
- Accessed by over 90,000 farmers.
- Fully compliant with EU policies.
- System expanded to provide new services.
OSi Data Bases employed:
- Large Scale Mapping.
- Small and Medium Scales Mapping.
- High and low level imagery and orthophotography.